Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Is this just a big honeymoon?

I'm doing so well. Drinking my iced tea or seltzers out of my big wine glass. Not craving the wine, beer, prosecco, etc. at all. I've even told three people about my new alcohol-less-ness! My husband (who I believe is cautiously positive...he hasn't said much), two good friends. One I knew would be supportive. She reacted brilliantly, didn't act too surprised, just happy for me. She also noted she had no idea about all the mental work I did in regard to my drinking, and how exhausted and anxiety-provoking it was. The second reacted well. She is a very opinionated person, I thought she would react in a skeptical manner. But while she was surprised, she was very supportive. It was great and reinforces the fact that no one cares. I mean, they care about me, but no one cares if I'm drinking alcohol or not.

I feel so light. Technically, I'm not. I weigh the same, but I feel thinner. I feel less puffy. I feel like my belly has reduced. Again, I weigh the same, but I feel 5 pounds lighter.

I still cannot believe the chest pain, that awful, painful, constant knot is gone. I had no idea how constant it was, how raw my nerves always were. Things around me are the same but, my perception and, most importantly, my reaction is different. I can keep calm with much more ease. I realize now it wasn't just during my wine hours that I'd be irritated by the kids fighting or interrupting, it was most of the time. In the car, the girls sniping, or asking questions constantly...I couldn't keep a thought in my head, I'd get so pissed off at them because I couldn't think.

Then, occasionally I get panicked, darting thoughts. Thoughts of how I will react to real temptation. I haven't been tested at all really. This weekend is Fourth of July. We always go to my in-laws. There will be much to drink. Beer, wine, mixed drinks (my husband is something of a cocktail aficionado). I've already stocked up on my fancy bottles of fizzy: sparkling juices, natural sodas, etc., which I will bring down with me. I think I just have to get through the first few 'first times' and I won't feel as panicky.

I worry, though. Is this the 'pink cloud'? Is this just a big honeymoon period? I'll try not to worry on that too much. So far so good.

No comments:

Post a Comment